Monday, October 10, 2011

Rules and Regulations

So far training has just been going over Peace Corps rules.  I found out there are 4 things that if I do will get me separated administratively from the Peace Corps.  These 4 things are:
1.      Using or being rumored to use illegal drugs. (When they say rumored they mean numerous people in the community call and are concerned about you)
2.      Leaving the country without notifying the Peace Corps.
3.      Refusing immunizations.
4.      Riding a motorcycle (In extreme cases this can be broken, like if I am in urgent need of medical care and a motorcycle is the only way to travel).
Those seem okay to me, especially after hearing that motorcycle accidents are the leading cause of death in Paraguay. So besides listening to Peace Corps rules we have also being practicing Guarani, the second language of Paraguay.   It is super hard. We have three hours of language classes a few times a week and my brain just throbs during them.  Also when I get home I not only have to speak to my host family in Spanish (a challenge on it’s own) but they throw in random Guarani to help me practice. 
Today we also had an interesting medical lecture on diarrhea.  The volunteers have actually made a contest to see who can make it the longest without GI problems.  About 5 of the 34 are out of the running but I am still in there and hoping to win! Apparently it is super common and I feel like the 34 of us are closer in 1 week than most people are after months of friendship.  We are all in the same boat and we have absolutely no shame.  I have a feeling that if I laugh or make fun of anyone with issues that will be when gastrointestinal karma strikes down on me. 
On a less gross note, I had my first interview with the Agriculture staff this week about site location preferences.  I am trying to be open minded and the main thing I want is to be close to a few other volunteers.  I think I could survive without running water and electricity (it would be hard) but I will need a few Americans to suffer with.  I told the trainers that were interviewing me that I like animals and I like to fish.  They also asked how I envisioned my service, which is an odd question since they have spent the last week basically telling us “don’t expect anything because you will be wrong”.  I told them I had no expectations and an open mind, but they kept pressing for an answer.  I finally said I imagined having a dog by my side.  So they wrote on my form “Wants a dog”. Hopefully they can make that happen!
So there are 18 Agriculture Volunteers and they are awesome! We lost one in the first few days and no one is really sure why she went home.  She was my roommate in Miami and seemed very nice.  This first week has been overwhelming and they are right when they describe it as a roller coaster of emotions but I cannot imagine going home now.  I spent almost a year applying and I am going to do my best to see this through.
I know some of you guys have been worried about me but so far I love it down here. Apparently I am in the “honeymoon phase” of Peace Corps and it will eventually pass but for now I am extremely content in my little room.  My family and I are getting closer and there are fewer awkward pauses.  My diet consists of bread and fried foods but luckily I am able to trade with other kids at lunch and I buy my own fruit. I think I could definitely get used to the Paraguayan lifestyle, did I mention they siesta? We don’t get to yet since we are in training but in December, bring it on! I miss you all (unless you are a stranger reading my blog).

1 comment:

  1. OMG! please tell me they get you a dog and upload pix right away! i like the name cujo! that'll keep the trouble away! oh, do they know even stephen king there!? LOL!
    and yea, diarrhea GI stuff, GRODY!

    ReplyDelete