Friday, October 28, 2011

Getting guapa with the bees!

So this week we have gotten more into our agricultural training, which is awesome! We had sessions on crop rotation, abonos verdes (green manures), tree planting, soil, and, my favorite so far, bee keeping.  My first experience with bees did not go so well. It was basically me standing with a terrified look on my face not knowing what to do.  That was about as fun as it sounds.  This time the bees we looked at were more used to being around people and the trainers were more comfortable with them.  I got to suit up in bee gear and pull out parts of the structure, which was awesome.  Unlike the first time when bees were aggressively dive-bombing at my face these bees just buzzed around.  They were very ‘tranquilo’ and therefore very Paraguayan.  I ended up being in the group being taught by Caleb, who actually is the boyfriend of the volunteer I stayed with.  He was very guapo and good with bees (guapo in Paraguay doesn’t mean good looking, it means hard-working).  We also ate some of the honey from one of the combs and it was delicious.  Now I think I have changed my mind and I wouldn’t mind being in a site that had to work with bees.  We find out what site we are in 4 weeks and the suspense is evil.  I understand that they want to take their time when placing us but I just want to know!
            In other news I am still doing well down here! I know that it hasn’t been a month but I am not homesick yet.  Although I lost the GI challenge that has probably been my lowest point here, and honestly that wasn’t even that low.  I am pretty sure we might all be out of the challenge. The group of trainees has already become incredibly close and we all are in this together.  I think it might be harder for the ones that came down with significant other’s back home but we are all there for one another. 
            The food could use a little more variety but luckily I still love bananas.  I have also come to love my fresh from the cow coffee and milk.   Paraguay is an amazing country and the people are awesome!  I was also told that I would be fine when I got to site because I am exactly what the people expect: light eyes and light skin.  This also earned me the nickname of “ojosclaros” which I am hoping doesn’t stick but we will see. We have also been talking about the different issues volunteers will face in site.  The main challenge I foresee is that fact that I am a woman working in agriculture.  Men and women go into the fields for one reason, to have sex.  In order for me to be able to go into a field without starting ‘chisme’ (gossip) I need to gain the trust of the wife.  So unlike the male volunteers who plan on integrating by picking up a hoe and being guapo in the fields, I will be confined to terere with the woman until I can be trusted with the men.  Maybe by then I will be an awesome beekeeper and I can do a wild hive capture and hang out with my bees to kill the time until I can show how guapa I can be!
            Also I am not sure if this gets repetitive but by the time I actually write a blog post I am too lazy too look back and see what all I have already said.  Also thanks to everyone that comments on the blog! I have no clue how to comment back! But I want you to know that I read them and I love them! Sky, I agree completely that bugs in your clothes are super gross! Also Heidi it is awesome that you are taking Spanish! I think I am going to come back home speaking a weird Paraguayan Spanish but I am okay with that!

Okay well I miss you guys and I hope everyone is doing well! I tried to put up some pictures but they didn´t show up so I will try again next week!

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying bee keeping. Maybe we will get a cow so you can enjoy your fresh milk in Powder Springs! Of course you would be in charge of milking. I can't wait to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was not from your Dad! I just figured out how to post a comment. I know you are shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it was on your Dad's email address! I have not changed...

    ReplyDelete