Friday, August 3, 2012

10 Months in Paraguay


It is hard for me to believe that I have been in Paraguay for 10 months.  In a few weeks G-39 will swear in, and after that G-40 (my sister G) will arrive.  I think this is a milestone for most volunteers.  The reason is that we along with our ‘older’ sister G, G-34, help train G-40.

–Side Note: We are G’s because we are trained in Guarambare, so my group was the 37th group of trainees to go through Guarambare.  Every third G will be the same sector because it rotates, Rural Health and Sanitation swear-in in April, Community Economic Development swears- in in August and Agricultural Extension and Environmental Education swear-in in December.  This concept was confusing for me when I first arrived in Paraguay and it took a while for me to realize my sister-G wasn’t the G directly before and after me. 

After 10 months in Paraguay and 7 ½ in site, I wish that I could tell you that my Guarani was improving; it isn’t.  I started studying more and I have posters around my room with verbs and sentence structure but it’s not coming together.  My main issue is that I can already speak Spanish. I had thought this would be awesome because I could just focus on Guarani and not worry about Spanish; unfortunately, when I don’t understand what people say in Guarani they just switch to Spanish and encourage me to do the same.  They later ask why I don’t speak more Guarani. I found out that other Ag volunteers lied about their Spanish abilities in site so they would be forced to learn Guarani.  I wish I had found this out before I got to site, not 4 months in when everyone knew my Spanish abilities.  
Besides constantly struggling with language I have also been doing more work in my garden. Unfortunately it appears that my tomatoes have caught a virus, for which there is no cure, and will all be dead within the week.  I think that is what I get for being so proud of the absurd amount of tomatoes I had.  Next summer my plan is to watch them more closely, kill any that seem to be a little sick, and not brag about my massive amount of tomatoes.  I am doing my best to eat my humble pie but it isn’t going down easy. 

Luckily, I still have my garlic, spinach, lettuce, green beans, and carrots.  For my first ever garden I am going to (humbly) say it’s a success!  My demo plot with my contact is also germinating and I think that I might try to plant crops in order to make a homemade chicken feed this spring (fall for you northern hemisphere folks).  I also am planning on buying 3 egg-laying hens in early August (Sorry Ma, I know you wanted to get them first but you were just too slow).

I am still teaching English in the school and in the church, although the attendance in church is dwindling.  In addition I am working with a commission in the community to try and get funding for pipes, a tank, and a motor in order to give 10 families access to running water.  What this means is that I am in charge of filling out the USAID forms; it’s as fun as it sounds.  My main frustration with this project is that I am not being invited to the meetings surrounding the project.  Some of the people think that I just have to call Peace Corps, tell them I need 12.000.000Gs and BOOM I get it.  No strings attached.  Actually I need to write essays, fill out forms, make spreadsheets, and explain where every last Guarani will be spent. All this being said, I really hope that this project can happen. I think I am getting nervous about how I can positively affect the community and helping to fund the running water project would definitely be a step in the right direction.  


All in all Copper and I are doing well in Paraguay.  She is getting neutered in September and doesn’t chase the chickens as often as she used to.  She also hates the town drunk, which I am insanely proud of. She is only 5 months old but she growls at him with the ferocity of a 3 year old German shepherd.  I firmly believe she is one of the best decisions I have made so far in Paraguay.  She barks a lot and chases children but I sleep better knowing I have a furry little friend watching over me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment