Friday, May 25, 2012

Sydney got hitched!


After seven months in Paraguay, I was lucky enough to get to go home for a week! My sister Sydney got married on April 21st and I arrived home on April 15th.  Unfortunately, I had mandatory training for the Peace Corps that started on April 23rd.   The flight home was pretty long.  I arrived to the airport in Asuncion at 8 o’clock in the morning on Saturday and finally made it to Georgia by 10 am on Sunday. I went from Asuncion to Cuidad del Este to Sao Paulo to Miami and finally ended in Atlanta.  My Dad met me at the airport and back to the farm we went!  The week before the wedding went really well.  It was a little stressful since the wedding was at our house and everyone had to help out (I drug my feet a little bit here).  For some reason a part of me wasn’t too excited about spending my vacation from being an Agricultural extensionist in Paraguay by gardening in Georgia.
While I was home I also managed to go to Columbia, South Carolina to visit some of my friends from College.  I was extremely thankful that they took the time from Graduate School and real jobs to hang out with me for the night. My roommate from college, Devika, also managed to come to be my date for the wedding even though she had finals the following week. She was also nice enough to help my Mom out during the wedding, as did my friends Emily and Meredith. 
The wedding was absolutely beautiful.  My whole family obviously put a lot of work into it and it was a very special day.  All of the groomsmen wore bowties and converse and naturally my Dad wore jeans and a cummerbund.  I am extremely grateful that I was able to attend the wedding and that Syd and Jason were nice enough to hold off getting married until I had been in site for the appropriate amount of time (PCV’s aren’t allowed to leave site until they have been there for 3 months, which for me was March 13).  Seeing everyone was also a lot harder than I expected.  I think the reason for this is that when I am not seeing everyone it is easy to not realize how much I really miss them. 
After spending a week eating fantastic food and seeing family it was back to Paraguay for me.  I was sad to leave but ready to get back to Paraguay.  I am finally getting to a point in my service where I feel like there are projects that I can start. It was also really nice talking to everyone at the wedding and seeing that people actually read my blog.  To everyone that I talked to about the Peace Corps: thanks for caring enough to talk with me about it! I also managed to bring back a French press so I am back to drinking good coffee! If anyone wants to send me something to help get me through the winter (House without insulation) strong coffee is the way to go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment